An excerpt from Satan’s world conference address to his minions:
When Christians are close to God, we are powerless against them. So here are my top 12 strategies to get them away from him – then we will have the upper hand again.
- Keep them busy with non-essentials
- Tempt them to overspend and go into debt
- Make them work long hours to maintain empty lifestyles
- Discourage them from spending family time for when the home disintegrates, there is no refuge from work
- Overstimulate their minds with TV, computers and video games so that they can’t hear God speaking to them
- Fill their coffee tables and newsstands with magazines, newspapers and novels so that they will have no time to read the Bible
- Flood their letter boxes with sweepstakes and get-rich-quick scheme to keep them chasing after material things
- Put glamorous models on TV ads and magazine covers to keep them focused on outward appearances that way they will be dissatisfied with themselves and their mate
- Make sure married couples are too exhausted for physical intimacy so that they will be tempted to look elsewhere
- Emphasis Santa and the Easter Bunny so it will divert them from the real meaning of the holidays
- Involve them in ‘good’ causes so they won’t have time for eternal ones
- Make them self-sufficient, keep them busy working in their own strength, so that they’ll never know the joy of God’s power working in them
(paraphrased from an illustration used in a Turning Point broadcast)
I find that I struggle at times with 1, 5, 6, 11 and 12 if I’m not careful. It is so easy to get distracted by little non-essentials that we lose sight of our purpose in life. Why do we waste hours surfing YouTube or watching pointless comedy shows and then spend <1 hour per day speaking to our Heavenly Father? Or sometimes, we get so consumed by the people around us that we forget what’s really important – our relationship with God. When we’ve realised what’s happened, it’s time to get quiet, get away if you need to and be still… and then, get refocused.
There’s a difference between being busy and being successful in what God has called you to do. ‘Busy’ can sometimes equate to ‘Being Under Satan’s Yoke’ (from the sermon above hehe) so perhaps it’s time to re-evaluate how we are spending our time.
Lord, please forgive me if I’ve put TV, movies, books, friends, relationships, cooking, photography, restaurant-hopping, my own selfish desires above seeking after You. Remove all that’s in my life that will keep me from fulfilling the plans You’ve fashioned for me. Make me more like You and draw me closer to You everyday. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.